Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Altec 288B VS 288C???

  1. #1
    Inactive Member max1229's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2005
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Does anyone knows that there is any difference between Altec 288B with 288C?
    Thanks~

    Max

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Max,

    The info you seek can be found here;

    http://www.wmeckle.com/INTRO/LARGE/Altec.htm

  3. #3
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The following information is off of an old chart I found. Think Jim Dickenson had something to do with compiling the information, but don't know where to find the chart on the 'net today.

    Altec 288 B's were made from 1949 to 1959. Their original impedance was 20, 22, or 24 ohms and were rated at 20 watts. They differed from the first version of 288's in that they had a deeper top plate. The original series of 288's were the first high quality permanent magnet theater high frequency driver made. The first series of 288's were made from 1945 to 1949 and were 20 or 22 ohms. There was a magnetic shorting ring that must be removed by the Altec factory before installing new diaphragms.

    The 288C's were made from 1959 to 1972 and my chart says 24 ohms. Same power.......20 watts. Under authors comments, it says "similar to 288B and has no shorting ring".

    288D's were the 16 ohm version of 288C's and were made from 1959 to 1970.


    That's about all the info that's there. There are part #'s for replacement diaphragms if you need them. Let me know.

    c-ya

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RacerXtreme:
    The following information is off of an old chart I found. Think Jim Dickenson had something to do with compiling the information, but don't know where to find the chart on the 'net today.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Try clicking the link I posted above. Fellow Hostboard member Wm. Eckle has kindly hosted a redux of both the large and small format charts, a comprehensive sectoral horn page, and other interesting stuff. Thanks Bill!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member xcessive's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 288B VS 288C???

    Whats 288c,s w/ new coils worth to sell. Reasonable price

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec 288B VS 288C???


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 288B VS 288C???

    Do you know this post is 5 years old ????

  7. #7
    Inactive Member xcessive's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 288c drivers new coils Wood exponential horns

    I am going to sell 2- Altec 288 c,s And 1'' throat professional wood exponential horns.
    And engineer from Cerwin vega built them. I would like to advertise them but I dontwhat to ask. like $750 with new diaphrams horns and drivers but I dont know. I broke my neck and got a brain injury so my thinking sucks. Ralph

    Attachment 477
    Attachment 478

    Phone# 503-268-3927
    Email [email protected]

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 288c drivers new coils Wood exponential horns

    Quote Originally Posted by xcessive View Post
    I am going to sell 2- Altec 288 c,s And 1'' throat professional wood exponential horns.
    The 288s are designed for a 1.4" throat. Were the designed for different drivers?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec 288B VS 288C???


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 288c drivers new coils Wood exponential horns

    Quote Originally Posted by xcessive View Post
    I broke my neck and got a brain injury so my thinking sucks. Ralph
    Hi Ralph, I'm sorry to hear that if I can help you in anyway let me know I'd be more than Happy to do so.Regards ~ JOHN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.